05 April, 2013

Riff on Pasta Puttanesca

Winter felt endlessly long, cold, dark, and ever so snowy. That, coupled with switching from a 3/4 to full time work schedule left me feeling so frustrated as I battled the waning winter light whilst trying to photograph my culinary adventures. Too many times I lost that skirmish, and rather than post gloomy pictures of food that looked for all the world as if they'd been taken at the morgue I held off.

But today the weather was downright glorious.  Spring flowers are poking up everywhere, robins have started their territorial aerobatics, a butterfly daintily flitted across my path as I carried groceries from car to house.

I wanted tonight's supper to be quick, simple and of course tasty---and---it had to be satisfying to both vegetarians and carnivores alike. My family has always liked Puttanesca, but anchovies aren't allowed, so I made this vegetarian riff on the original and then served up crispy andouille sausage for those who wanted it.

 



 Serves 4
  • 1 lb pasta of your choice
  • 1/2 to 1 head of parsley
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic
  • 2 hand fulls of cherry tomatoes
  • a dozen green olives
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
  • pepper
  • Mozzarella
  • Parmesan
  • sausage




Start a big pot of water for the pasta, adding a generous pinch of salt to the water.
I choose these little sweet little bundles of spinach and plain linguine. Once the water comes to a rolling boil add the pasta and stir. 


While the pasta cooks, coarsely chop garlic, parsley, olives and tomatoes.


Grate the lemon, set aside. Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pan until it starts to shimmer,  add all the vegtables and let them fry together for 4-5 minutes until softened and the garlic starts to pick up a little color. Add the zest, stir and and pull off the heat.
In a separate pan (if you have the dual household that I do)  fry sausage until the edges sear and start to crisp up.

Check the pasta, and drain when al dente. Add it back to the pot, drizzle with oil to keep it from clumping and shake the pot to distribute the oil evenly. Start a plate with pasta, then the vegetable mix followed by sausage, top with diced mozzarella, shaved parmesan,  and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and crushed black pepper to taste.


And here is the meatless version....
 Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment