23 March, 2012

The Art(ist) of Quiche

This is Sue...


 ...carrier of one of the most beautiful of souls and artist extraordinaire.

Among  many other things she paints food.


She is also one of my dearest friends, always there to cheer me on, encourage me, steer me straight when I veer too far afield. She oftenmost comes bearing gifts large and small...a bag of cookies, a handful of lavender from her garden, a soap, or a delightfully scented candle. 

We could laugh, cry, and yap together for hours on end, but sadly we get swept up in the daily grind, and all too seldom do we spend time together. 

On Wednesday morning she invited me over for breakfast with the words: "Don't bring anything, I'll have something for us." While the coffee sputtered and brewed over dancing blue gas flames,  she reached into the oven  to pull out a golden-hued savory quiche.



My fork sank through fluffy tender eggs, hitting blue-black chunks of kalamata olives, crimson tendrils of sweet peppers, crumbles of briny feta cheese....pure bliss.

Later that day I asked for the recipe via email, and this is verbatim what I got. I wouldn't change a word or ingredient.

Sue's Quiche Recipe

"I wing it every time! i scrambled eggs( 7) , splash of milk, sliced and drained small can olives, mixed all in bowl, poured into pie dish, crumble feta on top so that each slice as a taste of feta....i should have sliced basil in at same time but......cook at 350 till you realize you have been talking too much and almost burned quiche!!!!!...(sometimes i will mix in a dollop of skim ricotta cheese for creamier consistency)..."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment