27 March, 2012

The Grass is Greener...

I have to confess: Beef is not high on my list of culinary delights.



That said, on my wanderings through the rolling back country of Cecil County, it's hard to ignore the hand-painted signs perched atop white picket fences proclaiming "Grass Fed Beef for Sale." This is Amish country, where farms are run the old fashioned way. Barns are big and white, with doors constantly propped open, fresh air and sunlight streams inside. The farm house itself is set back a bit. Next to the home a laundry line holds gingham cotton dresses and simple mens britches all pinned in tidy rows.


As I pull in front of the little shed-like farm stand chickens scatter and cackle in protest then settle back into their ceaseless dinosaurian-footed scratching at the dusty soil. Beyond the barn long runs of weathered stockade fencing rim pastures tinged with only the slightest bit of green on this early Spring afternoon. The cattle are a deep velvety black, still carrying their thick winter pelts full of whorls and tufts. They look happy, they have wide open spaces and sun on their furry backs. This is a far cry from the hideous conditions most cattle endure in this country.


Inside the farm stand the side wall brims with luscious dairy products. My hands seem not to be my own as my basket fills up with not one, but three kinds of milk, butter, eggs and heavy cream the color of dogwood blossoms and topped with a thick cap of solid cream.

Turning my attention to the freezers holding icy blocks of meat I choose two small filets.  In my head I'm thinking: "It will be a test,  I probably won't like it much."

 I say no more.

Heat a cast iron pan to very high temperature, season the meat with salt & pepper, add a small amount of vegetable oil to the pan, sear meat for just a few minutes per side until it releases from the pan. It should have a nice brown crust. Remove from the pan, cover with foil, and set meat aside to rest. This will give you a rare-to-medium-rare steak.


While it was resting I chopped Crimini mushrooms, a garlic clove, and a quarter of an onion and sauteed it until tender (about 10 minutes). In went 1/2 cup of the heavy cream followed by a handful of chopped parsley and 1/2 cube of mushroom broth (check your local Italian deli), some fresh black pepper and 10 or so pink peppercorns. This reduced for another 5 minutes or so.

Oh, and those are yellow cherry tomatoes on top.


Simple, fast, delicious! Or, as my teenager put it: "OMG, THIS IS AWESOME!!!!"


If you are looking for a wine to go with this dish I would try a Montepulciano or a Malbec with some kick.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! And similar ingredients to our meal tonight. Ours was less fancy but still yummy. Must be a meaty kind of night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Fancy isn't important compared to taste. I just like to play with plating and colors too.

    ReplyDelete